1.27.2016

The Power of Words

So for those who have been with me on this journey since the beginning, you'll notice that I didn't post anything last Wednesday. Wednesday is normally that day where I post a testimony or something laid upon my heart during the previous week. However, last week I didn't really "have" anything. And that's not to say that I didn't have any miracles or wonders happen to me during the week (because those are never ending and plentiful) ,but I did t have a topic or something to share that I felt would touch someone in a way that my posts had dine previously. Now while I know that's not the right way to think, I stuck with that notion because I didn't want to write or post something just the sake of doing it. And it got me thinking: How many of us are guilty of this? Conversation is one of the last human casualties that are afforded us in this day and age of being drowned in technology. And unfortunately, many of us waste that scared gift by doing things with that are not pleasing of the tongue. Things like gossiping, back-biting, assuming, and most importantly, speaking just for the sake of it.

Many people who know me will describe me as sarcastic, witty, colorful, and high energy emotion. I usually say what's on my mind without hesitation and always have a joke to break the ice in my repertoire. On the flip side of that, those who don't know me so well will normally say things like, "You're so quiet." or "Are you okay?" I don't normally say to them because I don't want to come off as rude, but my response to them is something to the effect of "I don't really have anything to say" And I promise I don't mean it as an insult. In addition to everything else, others will describe about me, they'll also say that I genuinely enjoy quiet. I genuinely appreciate when two (or three or four) individuals can sit around in silence, just enjoying one another's company. I don't find many people who are able to do that. Oftentimes we feel like we have to exchange pleasantries and formalities with one another. That opens us up for half-hearted conversations and empty quips about our day and the weather. I have one question: Why do we do that?

The Bible teaches us that our words have immense power. What we speak and the things we allow ourselves to confess should not be taken lightly by any means. Our words have the power to destroy and the power to build up (Proverbs 12:6). The writer of Proverb tells us, “The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit” (Proverbs 18:21). Are we using words to build up people or destroy them? Are they filled with hate or love, bitterness or blessing, complaining or compliments, lust or love, victory or defeat? Like tools they can be used to help us reach our goals or to send us spiraling into a deep depression.


How do you use your words? And are you guilty of speaking positivity into your life or "stinking thinking"? And if you're guilty of the latter, how can you change that?


No comments:

Post a Comment