1.06.2016

#WCW: The Importance of Sisterhood in Christ




On this wonderful WCW (also affectionately known as Woman Crush Wednesday in social media land),I want to reflect on the relationships I was able to build (and leave behind in 2015. When you're new to a place,or rather unfamiliar, it's difficult for our flesh to look away from past experiences in hopes of a better today. It's easy to look in the mirror and lament over the scars and cuts we've received from trusting someone too freely or giving information too willingly. Sometimes,we make the mistakes of forming relationships that aren't in line with our journeys. It's important though to remember the rhyme,reason,and season of some of those relationships and allow ourselves to be open to increase. This past Sunday,I was invited to be apart of my sister in Christ's birthday celebration. Through my time of praise and servitude at Faith International Church  I have been fortunate to meet some amazing 
THE BIRTHDAY GIRL!


and fierce women of God. The importance of sisterhood was something I didn't think much of up until some years ago. The word sisterhood almost literally means covered in love by the family of God. I was almost sad that I hadn't realized the importance of this sooner. Women are not typically synonymous with sisterhood am I right? More so relative to the words "catty" or "gossip". I brought those worldly notions into church with me and thus welcomed some uncomfortable thoughts and feelings bred by notions of what someone else said i should be as a woman. The idea that a Christian woman must fit the mold of a perfect Bible toting, 10 inch skirt wearing being has for generations drawn our sisters out of church for not being able to live up to the unspoken expectations

Women,by nature are the breeders. We breed children. We can breed positivity and alternatively negativity.  Once we as women are able to accept the vessels of growth that we are, the sisterhood we are intrinsically built to form will follow. Here's 5 ways that I've become a better sister this year. 

1. Be Generous (2 Corinthians 9:11)
2. Be quick to hear (James 1:19)
3. Seek forgiveness (Colossians 3:13)
4. Tell the truth (Ephesians 4:25)
5. Pray for them. (James 5:16)

Are you a good sister in Christ? If the answer is no,think about how you can be better. It's never too late to be a blessing to others. Your sister is waiting.

Faithfully,
Brieana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment